By Bernard J. F. Lonergan, Frederick E. Crowe, Robert M. Doran, Lonergan Research Institute
Read or Download Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan: Collection PDF
Similar consciousness & thought books
We're fabric beings in a cloth global, yet we're additionally beings who've reviews and emotions. How can those subjective states be only a subject of topic? To safeguard materialism, philosophical materialists have formulated what's also known as "the phenomenal-concept strategy," which holds that we own a number specified innovations for classifying the subjective facets of our reviews.
What kind of factor is the brain? and the way can this type of factor while - belong to the flora and fauna, - symbolize the realm, - provide upward thrust to our subjective adventure, - and floor human wisdom? content material, awareness and conception is an edited assortment, comprising 11 new contributions to the philosophy of brain, written by means of essentially the most promising younger philosophers within the united kingdom and eire.
Attention might be the main perplexing challenge we people face in attempting to comprehend ourselves. right here, eighteen essays provide new angles at the topic. The individuals, who comprise a few of the best figures in philosophy of brain, speak about such critical themes as intentionality, extraordinary content material, and the relevance of quantum mechanics to the learn of realization.
- Holographic Healing: 5 Keys to Nervous System Consciousness
- Epistemological Disjunctivism
- Locke (Oxford Readings in Philosophy)
- Essays on suicide and the immortality of the soul
- Minds and Computers: The Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence
- Philosophy's Moods: The Affective Grounds of Thinking
Additional resources for Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan: Collection
Rome: Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith, 1907)], n, viii, 14); the procreation of children intended by the Creator from the beginning is an end (ibid. ); the requirement that husband and wife be joined in a pure and holy love, such as Christ's for his church, is a precept presupposing an objective ordination and so a finis operis (ibid. 24). However, though such material implications exist, properly they do not pertain to the document but to a reader's use of philosophic categories in interpreting the document; and so to argue, in virtue of a parallelism, from the material implication of one document to the material implication of another seems remote enough to be doubtful.
First, then, a horizontal end is more essential than a vertical end: for the horizontal end is the end determined by the essence of the thing, while the vertical end is had only by escaping the limitation of isolated essence through the fertility of concrete plurality. On the other hand, a vertical end is more excellent than a horizontal end: for 16 There is a noteworthy affinity between modern statistical law and the contingent ut in maiori parte, between modern 'chance variation' and the contingens ut in minori parte.
19. 60 Means are willed, not at all for their own sake, but only for sake of the ends. On the other hand, what is loved in love's self-expression is loved in itself though as a secondary object and from a superabundance of love towards the primary object which is imitated or reproduced. Thus God loves creatures not as mere means but as secondary objects; similarly, Christian charity is to love one's neighbor for the sake of God, yet this is not to make a mere means of one's neighbor, but to love him in himself and for himself as a manifestation, actual or potential, of the perfection of God.