By Catherine Sulem, Pierre-Louis Sulem
This monograph goals to fill the space among the mathematical literature which considerably contributed over the past decade to the certainty of the cave in phenomenon, and purposes to domain names like plasma physics and nonlinear optics the place this technique presents a primary mechanism for small scale formation and wave dissipation. This leads to a localized heating of the medium and with regards to propagation in a dielectric to attainable degradation of the fabric. For this objective, the authors have selected to deal with the matter of wave cave in by way of a number of tools starting from rigorous mathematical research to formal asymptotic expansions and numerical simulations.
Read Online or Download The Nonlinear Schrödinger Equation: Self-focusing and Wave Collapse PDF
Similar waves & wave mechanics books
The Feynman direction integrals have gotten more and more vital within the functions of quantum mechanics and box idea. the trail critical formula of quantum anomalies, (i. e. : the quantum breaking of definite symmetries), can now disguise the entire identified quantum anomalies in a coherent demeanour. during this ebook the authors offer an creation to the trail crucial process in quantum box concept and its purposes to the research of quantum anomalies.
This publication covers probably the most effective approximation tools for the theoretical research and answer of difficulties in theoretical physics and utilized arithmetic. the strategy will be utilized to any box concerning moment order usual differential equations. it truly is written with functional wishes in brain, with 50 solved difficulties protecting a large diversity of topics and making transparent which innovations and result of the final conception are wanted in every one case.
Knowing and analysing the complicated phenomena relating to elastic wave propagation has been the topic of excessive study for a few years and has enabled program in different fields of know-how, together with structural health and wellbeing tracking (SHM). during the quick development of diagnostic equipment utilizing elastic wave propagation, it has turn into transparent that present equipment of elastic wave modeling and research will not be constantly very important; constructing numerical tools geared toward modeling and analysing those phenomena has develop into a need.
- The Method of Moments in Electromagnetics
- Programming Dedicated Microprocessors
- Wave Propagation: From Electrons to Photonic Crystals and Left-Handed Materials
- Almost All About Waves
- Scattering of Waves from Large Spheres
- Mathematical Studies In Nonlinear Wave Propagation: Nsf-cbms Regional Research Conference On Mathematical Methods In Nonlinear Wave Propagation, North ... North Ca
Additional info for The Nonlinear Schrödinger Equation: Self-focusing and Wave Collapse
A localized solution is then associated to w = (2α)−1/2 sinh(α1/2 ξ), leading to a singularity at ξ = 0 for the amplitude v = 1/w, which is not acceptable. 22 1. The Physical Context waveguides was pointed out by Hasegawa and Tappert (1973). The resulting “optical temporal solitons ”5 were observed by Mollenauer, Stollen & Gordon (1980) (see also the review of Segev & Stegeman 1998). Shape-preserving localized solutions can also be constructed in higher dimensions (or for higher nonlinearities), and are usually referred to as standing or solitary waves.
22) where +∞ P0 (t) = 0 −∞ By Fourier transform in time, we have 1 0 P0 (Ω) = χ1 (Ω)E0 (Ω) = 1 ikz Ω−ω e χ1 (Ω)E( ). 24) where we expand χ1 (ω +εν) = χ1 (ω)+ χ1 (ω)εν + 12 χ1 (ω) 2 ν 2 +· · ·, where the primes hold for derivatives with respect to the frequency. 25) as a formal Taylor expansion, we are led to write symbolically 1 0 ∂ )E0 (T ) ∂T = ei(kz−ωt) χ1 (i∂t + ε∂T )E0 . 29) 16 1. 30) and n2 (ω) = 1 + χ1 (ω). The associated dispersion relation reduces to 2 2 k = ω nc2(ω) . 31) where in the expansion of the operator k 2 (ω + εi∂T ), the prime denotes derivatives and the corresponding functions are evaluated for the frequency ω.
Its asymptotes κ1 = ±κ2 are unstable. Note that this domain includes arbitrarily large wave numbers. Experimentally, the modulational instability has been observed in various physical contexts, including surface waves on deep water (Benjamin 1967a, Yuen and Lake 1975, 1980, Remoissenet 1996) and light waves in optical ﬁbers (Tai, Hasegawa, and Tomita 1986). The nonlinear development of this instability depends on the space dimension. Numerical simulations of the focusing one-dimensional cubic NLS equation in a periodic domain has revealed a Fermi–Pasta–Ulam (1955) recurrent behavior of the solution (Yuen and Ferguson 1978a, Haﬁzi 1981).