By Pamela C. Swallow
This biography highlights the achievements of America's first expert degreed woman scientist, Ellen Swallow Richards (1842--1911). The publication takes the reader from Richards's formative years on a Massachusetts farm the place she was once schooled at domestic, to her the world over popular successes in a number of branches of science.
• Schools, schools, and libraries are trying to find extra books approximately extraordinary, winning girls. Richards cleared the path for girls to go into quite a few fields of technology formerly believed to be the area of men.
• Currently there's a lot emphasis on food; Richards pioneered during this box, instructing the yank public approximately fat, carbohydrates, proteins and energy at a time while scarcely a person knew in their significance.
• Ellen Swallow Richards pioneered a number of fields of technology and know-how, establishing doorways for ladies to turn into chemists, biologists, geologists, ecologists, nutritionists, dietitians, technological know-how academics, professors, and residential economists.
• Richards started the ecology circulate, really appropriate in trendy international as increasingly more awareness is being paid to the overall healthiness of our planet.
Read Online or Download The Remarkable Life and Career of Ellen Swallow Richards: Pioneer in Science and Technology PDF
Best scientists books
Einstein In His personal phrases collects knowledge and perception instantly from the brain of the main recognized genius of the 20 th century. learn Einstein's concepts and writings on a number of matters, together with relativity, black holes, atomic strength, time trip, and extra. Insightful rates include:It is usually pleasant whilst an outstanding and gorgeous concept proves to be consonant with truth.
I enjoyed this ebook. the writer does a superb task telling us what's concerned about trading a company. while you're pondering paying for a enterprise to run your self, or procuring a enterprise so as to add to an present enterprise, then this ebook will open your eyes to the method and demystify the method for those who will not be acquainted with the topic already.
Lengthy earlier than the gap race captured the world’s realization, ok. E. Tsiolkovskii first conceived of multi-stage rockets that will later be tailored because the foundation of either the U. S. and Soviet rocket courses. referred to as the grandfather of Russian rocketry, this provincial scientist was once even sanctioned through Stalin to offer a speech from purple sq. on may perhaps Day 1935, lauding the Soviet technological destiny whereas additionally dreaming and expounding on his personal visions of conquering the cosmos.
- Common Thread: A Story of Science, Politics, Ethics and the Human Genome
- William and Lawrence Bragg, Father and Son: The Most Extraordinary Collaboration in Science
- Archimedes: what did he do besides cry eureka
- America and Cosmic Man
Additional resources for The Remarkable Life and Career of Ellen Swallow Richards: Pioneer in Science and Technology
Copyright © 2014 Pamela Curtis Swallow. Published 2014 by The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society and John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 45 46 Chapter 2 Fig. 9-1 William Ripley Nichols. Courtesy MIT Museum. dyes, and disease-bearing organisms contaminated public drinking water and hand-dug wells. Open sewers, noxious vapors, garbage and animal manure in the streets, vermin, and industrial toxins contributed to a rising death rate. Epidemics of cholera, typhoid, and diarrheal diseases spread quickl y through the water supply.
The college hired leading scholars of the day to instruct. Vassar was exactly what Ellen had been looking for, and she made up her mind to do whatever it took to get there. " This did not deter Ellen. She loved that Matthew Vassar spoke out on behalf of women. " The Remarkable Life of Ellen Swallow Richards: Pioneer in Science and Technology, First Edition. Pamela Curtis Swallow. Copyright © 2014 Pamela Curtis Swallow. Published 2014 by The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society and John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
But a company called Merrick and Gray of Boston had a suggestion for her—why not apply to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology ( M IT) , known then as " B osto n Tech," where she might pursue further studies? It had been founded at the same time as Vassar and was one of the only schools in the country that focused upon the kind of practical science that Ellen loved. Fired up again, Ellen boldly followed that suggestion, and in October of 1870, she applied to MIT. When Ellen's application, accompanied by glowing letters of recommendation from Maria Mitchell and Professor Charles Farrar, arrived at MIT, Dr.