By François Alouges (auth.), Jean-Michel Coron, Jean-Michel Ghidaglia, Frédéric Hélein (eds.)
This quantity (>Ie) NEMATICS Mathematical and actual features constitutes the lawsuits of a workshop which was once held at l'Universite de Paris Sud (Orsay) in might 1990. This assembly used to be a complicated learn Workshop backed by way of NATO. We gratefully recognize the assistance and help of the NATO technological know-how Committee. extra help has been supplied through the Ministere des affaires etrangeres (Paris) and by way of the path des Recherches et Etudes thoughts (Paris). additionally logistic aid has been supplied by way of the organization des Numericiens d'Orsay. (*) those court cases are released within the framework of the "Contrat DRET W 90/316/ AOOO". v Contents (*) FOREWORD v advent 1. M. CORON, 1. M. GHIDAGLIA, F. HELEIN xi AN ENERGY-DECREASING set of rules FOR HARMONIC MAPS F. ALOUGES 1 A COHOMOLOGICAL CRITERION FOR DENSITY OF delicate MAPS IN SOBOLEV areas among MANIFOLDS F. BETHUEL, 1. M. CORON, F. DEMENGEL, F. HELEIN 15 at the MATHEMATICAL MODELING OF TEXTURES IN POLYMERIC LIQUID CRYSTALS M. C. CAmERER 25 A outcome at the international lifestyles for warmth FLOWS OF HARMONIC MAPS FROM D2 INTO S2 okay. C. CHANG, W. Y. DING 37 BLOW-UP research for warmth circulate OF HARMONIC MAPS Y. CHEN forty nine T AYLOR-COUETTE INSTABILITY IN NEMATIC LIQUID CRYSTALS P. E. ClADIS sixty five ON a category OF ideas within the concept OF NEMATIC levels B. D. COLEMAN, 1. T. JENKINS ninety three RHEOLOGY OF THERMOTROPIC NEMATIC LIQUID CRYSTALLINE POLYMERS M. M. DENN, 1. A.
Read or Download Nematics: Mathematical and Physical Aspects PDF
Best physical books
An summary of the thoughts utilized in sleek neuroscience examine with the emphasis on displaying how varied strategies can optimally be mixed within the learn of difficulties that come up at a few degrees of frightened method association. this can be primarily a operating software for the scientist within the laboratory and health facility, delivering exact step by step protocols with advice and proposals.
From 21-24 June 1989 the overseas Federation of tailored actual job (IF APA) held its seventh overseas Symposium "Adapted actual task -An Interdisciplinary procedure" in Berlin (West). This was once the 1st time that this symposium has been held in a German conversing state, and it offered exact demanding situations to the organizers.
Impression of Milk fats Globule measurement at the actual performance of Dairy items offers a entire review of innovations applied to alter milk fats globule dimension in fat-structured dairy items. The textual content goals to focus on the significance of either local and emulsified milk fats globule dimension within the processing and performance of those items.
The well-dressed ape, aka Homo sapiens, is an odd mammal. It buddies remarkably frequently, and with exceptional affection. With related enthusiasm, it is going to consume to the purpose of undermining its personal health–behavior unthinkable in wild animals. The human marks its territory with doorways, fences, and plastic flamingos, but if it’s too remoted it turns into depressed.
- Essential Reproduction
- Modern environments and human health : revisiting the second epidemiological transition
- Biosocial Becomings: Integrating Social and Biological Anthropology
- Electrical Dynamics of the Dendritic Space
- Costly Giving, Giving Guaizas: Towards an organic model of the exchange of social valuables in the Late Ceramic Age Caribbean
- INSTRUCTOR'S MANUAL - Uppers, Downers, All Arounders: Physical and Mental Effects of Psychoactive Drugs
Extra resources for Nematics: Mathematical and Physical Aspects
2) exists for all time, it may encounter singularties at T = +00, so that it fails to converge asymptotically. We can see this point from the example produced by Eells and Wood  in the case that M has no boundary. If M has a smooth boundary, this is obvious. when the initial map is in a nontrivial homotopic class with finite energy and constant boundary value, the flow must develop a singularity at T = +00. This is due to the fact that any smooth harmonic map with constant boundary value has to be a constant.
Let p be a smooth map from IR to IR with compact support and with weight fJRP(s)ds equal to 1. Set for f > 0 PE(S) Since = ~p CD and (JE(X) = PE[dist (x,P)]d[dist (x,P)]. 11) where a is the pull-back n" a of a by the orthogonal projection II onto P. 11). 10). D. 2 ~ Now let p be in C1(IR,IR) and such that p(s) = 0 for s ~ 1 and p(s) = 1 for s. 12) is zero. The second term tends trivially to zero when e goes to zero. 12) also goes to zero when e goes to zero. 2. Proof of Theorems 1 and 2 in the limiting case V = m - I, with M and M' = cm.
1. Ik' since Ik The proof of Theorem 2 for V = m - I and u' = cm is the same as in Section 3. M M'=C m • c m and It follows the outlines of the proof in [Bel]. Recall that in [Bel], the hypothesis TI[pJ(N) = 0 is used to approximate I restricted on [vI-dimensional sets (with prescribed boundary conditions). In our situation we replace this hypothesis using Theorem I and 2 in dimension [V] + 1. In order to do so, we use an induction argument and Lemma 3 above. 4. M' are any manifolds. 2) in the special case 8M' = P(a,ej).